Kwame L. Dougan
3979 Albany Post Road #2018
Hyde Park, NY
Founder & Managing Partner - Scotch & Palm Private Client Law Group, LLC. | New York, NY | Apr 2015 – Present
Recruited as founder of law practice to provide counsel to a diverse group of social impact investors exploring cross-border transactions. Regularly advising on fund formation, investment agreements, sales of private securities, litigation, and partnership agreements.
- Selected to FINRA arbitration roster in 2018
- Originated client base by producing high quality work-product and deep understanding of enterprise and political risk.
- Consistently exceeded client expectations through negotiation of favorable settlement outcomes.
Legal Advisor and Entrepreneur In Residence - Community Development Venture Capital Alliance | New York, NY | Apr 2015 – Aug 2016
Acted as in-house counsel to a $100M fund-of-funds on a mission to expand capital to underserved markets globally.
- Prepared opinions in response to developments relating to administration, allocation and reporting of funds from various Limited Partners, including Empire State Economic Development Fund.
- Conducted due diligence during established for Puerto Rico economic development fund.
- Prepared opinions for UNDP regarding venture capital policies.
- Provided analysis in response to precedent-setting court decisions and regulatory developments relating to securities.
Litigation Associate - Shearman & Sterling LLP | New York, NY | Nov 2010 – Apr 2015
Advised leading investment brokerages during high-stakes litigation pertaining to US and foreign regulatory investigations, FCPA compliance matters, and cross-border real estate development contract disputes. Prepared pleadings, responses, and objections to discovery requests, summary judgment motions, motions to dismiss, discover demands, and negotiated with the SEC, CFTC, and DOJ.
- Provided critical analysis during high-stakes litigation for financial institutions facing scrutiny.
- Authored entries for publication and distribution to global clients with exposure to bribery (FCPA) matters.
- Selected to manage a 14-person team conducting internal investigations for cross-border bank.
Previous positions include Summer Associate for Shearman & Sterling LLP, Paul Hastings. Pro bono counsel for CDVCA.