D. Brian King
Independent Arbitrator – Commercial and Investment
New York University School of Law, Room 508
40 Washington Square South
New York, NY 10012
3 Verulam Buildings
London WC1R 5NT
Partner in International Arbitration Group, Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer, 2002-2018; Counsel, Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer, 1999-2002; Senior Associate, Stibbe Simont Monahan Duhot, Amsterdam, 1996-99; Legal Advisor, Iran-United States Claims Tribunal, The Hague, The Netherlands, 1994-96; Associate, Litigation Group, Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom, 1992-94; Law Clerk, Hon. Harry T. Edwards (D.C. Circuit), 1991-1992; Law Clerk Hon. Leonard B. Sand (Southern District of New York), 1990-1991
AAA/ICDR; ICSID Panel of Arbitrators; ICSID Panel of Conciliators; ICC (U.S. national committee); International Institute for Conflict Prevention & Resolution (CPR); Korean Commercial Arbitration Board; LCIA; Netherlands Arbitration Institute; WIPO Panel of Neutrals
Has acted as arbitrator or counsel in more than 100 commercial and investment arbitrations.
Arbitrator appointments include serving as chair, co-arbitrator, sole arbitrator or emergency arbitrator in cases in the energy, construction, pharmaceutical and financial services sectors.
Counsel work has included representing: ConocoPhillips in its precedent-setting ICSID claim against Venezuela arising out of the expropriation of major oil projects; a leading U.S. pharmaceutical company in ICC and LCIA arbitrations involving innovative drug therapies; a government agency in a series of FIDIC-form construction arbitrations arising from highway projects in Africa; and the Republic of Turkey in three major ICSID and ICSID Additional Facility arbitrations.
- Chapters entitled Evidentiary Issues and Post-Award Access to Justice, in Cambridge Compendium Of International Commercial And Investment Arbitration (Cambridge University Press, forthcoming 2019)
- Chapters entitled Nationality and National/Most Favored Nation Treatment, in International Investment Law (Sellier Publishers, forthcoming 2019)
- Construction Arbitration in East Africa, in Global Arbitration Review: The Middle Eastern And African Arbitration Review (2d ed. 2018)
- Procedural Orders and Beyond: Tailoring the Arbitral Process to Maximize Efficiency, in 6 Korean Arb. Review 54 (2016)
- Party Autonomy, the “Right” to Appoint, and the Rise of Strategic Challenges, in Limits To Party Autonomy In International Commercial Arbitration (Juris Publishers, 2016).
- Enforcing Awards Involving Foreign Sovereigns, in International Commercial Arbitration In New York (2d ed. 2016).
- International Arbitrators as Lawmakers, 46 NYU Journal of Int’l. Law and Pol. 875 (2014).
- Enforcement after the Arbitration: Strategic Considerations and Forum Choice, in Forum Shopping In The International Commercial Arbitration Context (Sellier Publishers, 2013).
- Application of Article V of the New York Convention in the Netherlands, 25 J. Int’l Arb. 6 (2008).
- Consistency of Awards in Cases of Parallel Proceedings, in Towards A Uniform International Arbitration Law (Juris Publishers, 2005).
- Obtaining Evidence Abroad (Chapter on The Netherlands) (ABA Publication, May 2005).
- Arbitrage zonder (contractuele) grenzen: heden en toekomst van investeringsarbitrage, in Tijdschrift Voor Arbitrage (April 2005).
- Consolidation of Arbitral Proceedings, in IBA Section on Business Law, Arbitration and ADR Committee Newsletter (May 2004).
- Enforcing Foreign Arbitral Awards, 18 Mealey’s Int’l Arb. Rep. (April 2003).
- The United States Perspective on Impecuniousness and Arbitration Agreements, in DIS Papers (2003).
- Enforcing Eurocontrol Awards, in PCA Papers (2002).
- Rethinking Discovery in International Arbitration, 12 ICC Bull. 1 (2001).
- Summary Arbitral Proceedings, 15 Mealey’s Int’l Arb. Rep. (March 2000).
- Enforcing Annulled Awards, 14 Mealey’s Int’l Arb. Rep. (January 2000).
- Yearbook Of Commercial Arbitration (contributor), Vols. XX & XXI.