1. The Claimant is Sanum Investments Limited (“Sanum” or “Claimant”), an entity incorporated in the Macao Special Administrative Region of the People’s Republic of China (“PRC”) (“Macao SAR” or “Macao”). The Claimant is represented by Mr. David W. Rivkin and Ms. Catherine M. Amirfar (Debevoise & Plimpton LLP, New York); Mr. Christopher K. Tahbaz (Debevoise & Plimpton LLP, Hong Kong); and Mr. Todd Weiler (Barrister & Solicitor, London, Ontario, Canada).
2. The Respondent is the Government of the Lao People’s Democratic Republic (“Laos” or “Respondent”). The Respondent is represented by the Laos Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Mr. David Branson (King Branson LLC, Washington, D.C.), Ms. Jane Willems, Ms. Teresa Cheng S.C. (De Voeux Chambers, Hong Kong), Professor George A. Bermann (Columbia University School of Law, New York) and L.S. Horizon (Vientiane).
II. PROCEDURAL HISTORY
3. The Claimant commenced these proceedings by a Notice of Arbitration (“Notice”) dated 14 August 2013 pursuant to the Agreement between the Government of the People’s Republic of China and the Government of the Lao People’s Democratic Republic Concerning the Encouragement and Reciprocal Protection of Investments dated 31 January 1993 (“PRC/Laos Treaty”, “BIT”, “Treaty”).1
4. On 8 May 2013, the Tribunal and the Parties attended a first procedural conference in London.
5. On 21 May 2013, after consultation with the Parties, the Tribunal issued Procedural Order No. 1, which designated: (a) Singapore as the place of arbitration; (b) the Permanent Court of Arbitration (“PCA”) as Registry; and (c) the 2010 UNCITRAL Arbitration Rules as the applicable procedural rules. Procedural Order No. 1 also set forth the timetable of the proceedings.