1. The Applicant, Mr Alexander Peternell, is a South African Event Rider.
2. The first Respondent is the South African Sports Confederation and Olympic Committee ("SASCOC"). The mission of SASCOC, under various National South African Laws, is to promote and develop high performance sport, as well as to act as the controlling body for the preparation and delivery of Team South Africa at all multi-sport international games, including the Olympic Games. Furthermore, pursuant to the Olympic Charter, Chapter 4, Rule 27.7.2, SASCOC has "the right to send competitors, team officials and other team personnel to the Olympic Games in compliance with the Olympic Charter".
3. The second Respondent is the South African Equestrian Federation ("SAEF"). It is the domestic federation recognised by the Fédération Equestre International ("FEI"), in South Africa. The SAEF has a number of local associations which are affiliated to it and which represent the various different equestrian disciplines, including the South African Equestrian Association ("SAEA") which is responsible for the administration of Eventing in South Africa.
4. The Interested Parties are the International Olympic Committee ("IOC") and the Fédération Equestre Internationale.
5. The International Olympic Committee ("IOC") is an international not-for-profit organisation, in the form of an association with the status of a legal entity, recognized by the Swiss Federal Council. The seat of the IOC is in Lausanne, Switzerland. The object of the IOC is to fulfil the mission, role and responsibilities as assigned to it by the Olympic Charter. In between these missions one of the paramount roles of the IOC is "to ensure the regular celebration of the Olympic Games" (Art. 2(3) Olympic Charter).
6. The Fédération Equestre Internationale is the worldwide governing body of equestrian sport and is recognised as such by the IOC.