1. On October 2, 2012, Caratube International Oil Company LLP filed with the Secretary-General of ICSID an application requesting the annulment of the Award of the Tribunal rendered on June 5, 2012 in ICSID Case No. ARB/08/12 in the arbitration proceeding between CIOC and the Republic of Kazakhstan.
2. CIOC’s Application was made within the time period provided in Article 52(2) of the ICSID Convention.
3. On October 5, 2012, the Secretary-General registered the Application and transmitted a Notice of Registration to the parties on the same date. In that Notice, the Secretary-General observed that the Application contained a request for a stay of enforcement of the Award in accordance with Rule 54(1) of the ICSID Rules of Procedure for Arbitration Proceedings. The Secretary-General informed the parties that the enforcement of the Award was provisionally stayed, pursuant to Rule 54(2).
4. On November 5, 2012, the Centre informed the parties of the ensuing recommendation to the Chairman of the Administrative Council of the appointment of Mr. Juan Fernández-Armesto (Spain), Tan Sri Dato Cecil W.M. Abraham (Malaysia), and Judge Hans Danelius (Sweden) to the ad hoc Committee, each of whom was designated to the ICSID Panel of Arbitrators by his State of nationality.
5. By letter of November 12, 2012, in accordance with Rule 52(2), the Secretary-General notified the parties that the ad hoc Committee was constituted and was composed of Mr. Juan Fernández-Armesto, as President, Tan Sri Dato Cecil W.M. Abraham and Judge Hans Danelius, as members. The parties were also informed that Ms. Milanka Kostadinova, Team Leader/Legal Counsel, ICSID, would serve as Secretary.